Saturday, March 17, 2007

7 years: a great time to land

Next Sunday, the 25th, marks my 7th anniversary! It is hard to believe that we have gotten into these not-so-newlywed-numbers. Sometimes it seems like we are still very much newlyweds, but then when I stop to think about where we have been and what we have done in the past 7 years (10 years total!) it makes me realize we have covered a lot of ground.

We have lived in 2 different states, 6 different cities and 8 different homes since we got married. We have had 10 different jobs together, not including the most honorable job of all... parent. Yeah, thinking of all this really puts into perspective that we really have been married for a long time. And these 7 years of marriage have added so much to our journey.

It seems that from the very beginning we have been working toward a goal of "getting somewhere." For instance, when we were first married we wanted desperately to return to Michigan to be close to my family. That was years of the process. Then God did a work in my heart that I never expected and called us back to South Carolina. (What a process that was! I always said I would NEVER leave Michigan again unless I was perfectly clear that it was in God's plan for me and my family. I praise Him for working in me and showing me gently what His will was.) Once we arrived to SC the journey involved "resting & waiting" for God to direct us to the place, town, home where we should settle. And there's another year in the record books. Finally, as of last summer's relocation to Liberty, it seems we have landed!

Oh, the journey hasn't ended... I guess to make it clear I will use an analogy. (My husband taught me this art of analogy early on in our dating!) I will compare our first 7 years of marriage to an Orlando vacation. We were in one park riding several different rides for a while. Eventually, due to many factors (timeline, goals, priorities), when it was time to move to the next park we were excited to have the unique experiences the next park could offer. After years of park-hopping, it seems that we have landed in one place. We liked the entire Orlando experience, but we have decided upon a favorite park in which we will spend most of our time. There is something very refreshing about choosing a favorite**. It is as if choosing a favorite and speaking it with confidence helps me to know who I am a little better. What a relief to know myself!

It is nice to be settling into a life that I can be confident will remain mostly stable for quite a while. Narrowing down our preferences has helped us to focus on things we haven't been able to focus on in the first several years of marriage. Trying to get to the next place was always such a huge focus that we sacrificed some other things that were also important to us. I am enjoying switching the focus from trying to arrive to living the life. A lot of life was lived while we were trying to arrive, but a lot of life was missed, too. What a journey.



Here is a little extra tidbit that I included mostly just to document some great growth, but I will share it with you because you seem so interested! rofl

**Favorites are something very new to me. For as long as I can remember, I was uncomfortable choosing a favorite drink, meal, color, friend or song/artist. It was very safe not to pick favorites. I didn't have to explain myself or defend my selection, I didn't have to butt heads with someone who liked something opposite, and most of all I wouldn't hurt anyones feelings by not picking the same favorite as them. I have learned that I attempt to earn worth through my choices, behaviors, and attidudes. Realizing that this is not a healthy way of living (because my worth comes through Christ and who He says I am) has released me to be able to be who I am without regard to how others percieve me.

And... just to excercize my use of favorites I changed to my favorite font color! ;o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the anniversary! You guys are doing great!

You're my favorite Liberty friend!

Bryan and Tammy said...

I feel like I just had a conversation with you in my driveway! I am pumped to see you are blogging. I will read often!

Anonymous said...

You are an awesome blogger dear! It definitely did feel like a conversation. You've inspired me to think on starting a blog spot. Also, congrats on 7 years dear! It's a milestone. :-)