Friday, June 6, 2008

Cream of Broccoli Soup

I had to bring my Broccoli Soup into work today for a shower. I am becoming famous at work for in (not to toot my own horn or anything) and have been asked multiple times for the recipe. I had to type it up to share with my co-workers so I decided to share it here, too. I like to add cheese and bacon. It really is delicious! I challenge you to try it out and post what you think about it here!

Cream of Broccoli Soup

1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1 quart half & half
1 quart water
8 chicken bullion cubes
1 bag of frozen broccoli (thawed)
salt & pepper to taste

· In a large pot, melt butter/margarine over medium heat.
· Using a metal wisk, mix in the flour gradually allowing a minute or two for the flour to cook.
· Slowly add about ½ cup of half & half mixing all the lumps out before adding more half & half. (It will be very thick to begin with, but make sure you get the lumps out every time or you will end up with lumpy soup. Taking the time to get the lumps out also allows the flour to continue to cook so you don’t have a flour flavor in your soup.)
· Once the half & half is mixed in refill the container and mix in the water slowly.
· Add the bullion cubes and ensure they are broken up. Mix in broccoli and allow to simmer on low heat until broccoli is warm.

5 comments:

Jill said...

You crazy girl...who eats soup on a 90 degree day???

I'll have to remember to come check back in January!

Unknown said...

just able to log into blogs again and got caught up on your life....trey eating, your girl's ear, alex, sally....oh, my so much! Know that we are lifting you up and miss you so much.

Anonymous said...

I've had the soup and it's so good that I'd eat it if it was 150 degrees outside.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm not some werido stalker...I'm on of Jennifer's old friends. Anyways...I was at her blog and found myself clicking my way to your blog. I think I actually met you at one point.
Anyways...I ran into this recipe and thought it sounded good so I whipped it up and my husband and I loved it. Thanks! One thing though...you have baking soda listed in the list of ingredients however it's not in the directions. At what point was I supposed to add that? I never did, and the soup was still delish...however, I'm thinking it will be even better next time if I add it.

Thanks again for the yummy soup recipe. I plan on making it often!

Christi Roth

Sarah Hayes said...

Thanks for reporting back, Christi! The soda, I think, is supposed to be added early with the flour and I believe it calls for 1 tsp. Sometimes I forget it, too, and it turns out fine! ;o) Now I am wanting broccoli soup again... and it is hot here.