Sunday, June 1, 2008

Our Sally-Dog

It seems like forever since I have taken the time to sit down and blog. And unfortunately, my return to this comfortable venue is not on a good note. We lost our Sally-Dog last week with no warning of illness or injury. I was shocked to find her dead when I got home from work last Tuesday. I took the loss much harder than I thought I would. As I mentioned to a couple of friends, it is difficult to grieve a pet because society doesn't allow time off to grieve like if we lose a human family member. There were a lot of things I went ahead and did last week with puffy, red eyes that I probably should have been more presentable for.

Shortly after L.C. and I were married in 2000 we started talking about getting a dog. I wanted one so bad. I figured it would be nice to "add to the family" before we were ready to have children. We called on an ad for beagle puppies that were selling for about 1/2 the price of others in the newspaper. We went to look at them. It turned out the man who owned her was a hunter who pretty much bred hunting dogs for himself so he wasn't looking to get rich as a breeder. There were two puppies left. Sally was the tiniest one... she took after her mom who also was a small beagle. Even though we really weren't physically ready to care for a puppy we brought Sally home with us. Who can resist a beagle pup?

Sally has been through a lot with our family. She has made 2 huge moves across the country, adapted well to 7 new homes since we got her and didn't complain too much when she went from queen of the castle to family pet with a whole lot less freedom once Pheoby joined us.

Sally has been a sweet and loving part of our family for the past 8 years. It has been hard to let her go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your loss!! Love you all so much! Praying for you!

Jill said...

Prayers are still coming your way as you adjust.

Anonymous said...

sarah and lc i remember sally dog when u were here.im sorry to hear of her passing.joyce reciently lost her dog demon dog we called him to something.not sure what.the boys were full of quesions.its normal to cry when u lose a pet as you said she was a member of your family. much love sweetie.judy

pray.trust.live said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I'm looking for a good home for our's...he ate my glasses this morning...

Annie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss dear! Big hugs for you dear!