Tuesday, April 3, 2007

We are DONE!!!!

I haven't wanted to brag too much because I am a little scared, but I think we are finally done potty training! That was the LONGEST process of my life and probably Pheoby's, too! I am documenting this in blog-fashion partly to share this wonderful news with you, but also because one day way into my future I hope to have another child of potty-training age and I would like to pass along some perspective.

I once thought that Pheoby showing interest in potty training meant that she was ready to potty train. Um.... NO!

I once thought that if Pheoby could go 3-4 days with out an accident then we were nearing the end of the road. Um... NO!

I once thought that if you "train" a child using one of the gazillion methods of "training" that are out there that a child would "learn" the proper place for potty and put it there. Um... NO!

I once thought that consistency is key to dealing with ALL parenting issues. Um... NO! Consistency doesn't change a will/genetic predisposition.

I once thought that stickers could convince a child to do anything. Um... NO!

So to the Sarah-mom of the future I say this.....

DON"T POTTY "TRAIN" until you near the 3rd birthday. Oh... it may be fun for a 20 month old to sit on the potty and experience the sweet freedom of not having to sit in filth, but just because something is fun doesn't mean we want to/will choose to do it 8 times a day!!! My theory is that "training" is for goofballs who like to feel like failures! (Ok, so maybe I am a little emotionally extreme at 3 AM as I type this, but come on! It has been a long journey!)

Congratulations to my Sweet Pheoby for being such a responsible big girl who has not had an accident in weeks!!! I am sooooo proud of you! (And so thankful I can be a tad lazy in the name of helping you be independent and responsible since you can now handle the whole bathroom process all by your self!)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

hmm... I just noticed that my time stamp is off! I really didn't exaggerate how late it is! I am going to bed now. (Just in case you wonder it is now 3:17AM.)

Bryan and Tammy said...

congrats! I think that being done with potty training is worth a REAL party for MOM...not just a blog party!

Bryan and Tammy said...

congrats! I think that being done with potty training is worth a REAL party for MOM...not just a blog party!

Bryan and Tammy said...

oops i posted that twice somehow. Okay, i did it on purpose so you really would know how i felt about you having a party for yourself!

Sarah said...

I love seeing your name on here so many times! Make that mistake as many times as you wish!!! ~S

IndyMom said...

Hi-
I enjoyed this post.
I'm a friend of Tammy & Bryan's. My name is Sarah too - so I was curious when I saw your name and comments on their blog.
Our youngest daughter just turned three. She is a month older than Ruthie and we are still working on the potty training - getting closer.
Our number four is sitting on my lap - he's 6 months old and yes three is probably a good age to start "potty training" :)
-another Sarah